It helps digest your food and turns it into energy.By converting proteins, carbohydrates, fat and vitamins into energy, the liver ensures that your body has what it needs to keep going.
It drives many of your body’s critical systems and when it breaks down, your body will too.
It must process all medications, vitamins or herbal remedies you take before they can take effect. Mixing or overdosing medications can damage this vital organ.
Hepatitis C can lead to liver cancer. You can be cured of hepatitis C. The only way to find out if you have hepatitis C is to be tested.
Most people infected with hepatitis C contracted the virus during unprotected sex. There is a vaccine for hepatitis C.
Risk of infection with HCV is increased if you:
1) Shared needles to inject drugs or straws to inhale them.
2) Had tattoos or body piercings using unsterile equipment.
3) Worked in a place where you came in contact with infected blood or needles, for example, healthcare workers.
4) Were born to a mother with HCV.
5) Had unprotected sex with multiple partners.
6) Have or had a sexually transmitted disease.
7) Have HIV.